Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Hints of Transcendence




“Moses attentive to what he sees, names the revelation, makes it conscious and in turn is named by the Transcendent. From that moment, Moses himself is changed.

He still lisps, he is still a misfit of sorts, he is still ordinary, but he allows his vision to affect the very purpose of his existence.  His worldview is changed and his life takes on new meaning.  He becomes a prophet and leader amongst his people” (17)


Are we attentive to what we see in our day? With our smart phones, constant communication, and wired existences would we even see or smell a tree on fire?   Moses was attentive.  He stopped to take notice.  Part of why I like the concept of  “Dancing with God” is because we cannot dance without intention.   To dance as a verb requires that we take part in moving ones body rhythmically (or at least trying to be rhythmic). 

Dancing doesn’t happen by accident great dancing requires great intention and attention.   Moses paid attention to what was occurring around him, and then took another step and chose to name what he was encountering. 

The process of naming things gives us power.  Naming something claims at least we have limited understanding of that which we are encountering or that which is encountering us.  Moses, simply calls it a burning bush.  That was the depth of his insight.  Sometimes this is the best we have.  I frequently tell my students that sometimes I feel the most honest way to identify myself is as agnostic, simply out of humility of not knowing enough about that which I encounter.  I know it is greater.  I know it brings me peace.  I know that in the presence of the Other I find meaning. Yet there is so much more unknown.   (I understand if this makes others uncomfortable, I’m not asking you to do the same I am simply trying to name my experience as clearly and honestly as I can.)  Yet notice that Moses at first is not afraid.  The text says he saw a burning bush and he moved toward it, he wanted to know more. 

Do you move toward the burning bushes in your day or do you ignore them?  To you allow your sense of wonder to guide you toward a hint of the Transcendent or do you walk away and as SIRI to explain it to you?

When we walk toward the Transcendent the Transcendent speaks.  And unlike us the Transcendent knows our name.  The Transcendent knows the deepest us.  The us that we cant even see.   Moses when he ‘looked in mirror’ visulized a broken, afraid, stuttering, weak rancher.  The Transcendent saw a wise, bold, empowered prophet and national leader.

In meeting the Transcendent, in taking notice, Moses is transformed.  This is the beauty of walking toward hints of the transcendent: Each time we walk toward the hint, we are changed. 

How can we make room for the Hints?

“Could it be that God speaks to us as he always has, just that we have forgotten his language or gotten distracted in ways that human nature has always gotten distracted and wandered out of earshot?” (18)

No comments: